ASRT Authored Courses, Radiography
Safety Essentials Module 1: Fundamentals of Health Care Safety
Audience: Radiologic Technologists
This module addresses the risks that patients face within medical environments, and how to reduce them. You will learn how to prevent common patient care errors, implement systems to avoid medication errors and create a culture of safety at your workplace in this in-depth introduction to health care safety.
Upon completion of this module, the participant will be able to:
• Understand the scale of error and harm in patient care.
• Understand and prevent common patient care errors.
• Implement systems to prevent medication errors.
• Help prevent the spread of infections.
• Use communication standards to improve safety.
• Understand and avoid the normalization of variance.
• Understand and take part in radiology department safety.
• Assist in forming a culture of safety where you work.
This activity may be available in multiple formats or from different sponsors. ARRT regulations state that an individual may not repeat a self-learning activity for credit if it was reported in the same or any subsequent biennium.
Author: Chris Young, R.R.A., R.T.(R)
ASRT: American Society of Radiologic Technologists
About the author:
The mission of the American Society of Radiologic Technologists is to advance the medical imaging and radiation therapy profession and to enhance the quality of patient care.